Monday, October 4, 2010

Reading: Design Process. cover - xviii (21 p)

Book: Aspelund, Karl. Design Process  - cover - xvii (21 p)

For some reason, Borders did not have this book so I'm guessing that Barnes & Nobles also doesn't. Fortunately, I was able to download some pages of the book but it only goes up to page 38. Hopefully this will hold me up until I order the book. And I know this is really late, but it's hard to write 3 paragraphs / a paper just on the introduction. Hopefully this is ok.... -_-

    The assigned reading is essentially the preface of the book and acknowledgment of the author. The introduction explains how this guidebook helps student designers to do design process from inspiration to production. There are 7 stages for the design process: inspiration, identification, conceptualization, exploration/refinement, definition, modeling, communication and production. The stages contain several sections to help explain each steps: objective and key concepts, perspectives, appendixes, exercises, and illustrations.

     The acknowledgment contains information of the author's 20 years experience and the people that he thanks for their contribution. There are two other sections between the preface and acknowledgment: "who should use this book" and "new to the second edition." "Who should use this book" explains that the book is mainly used for design students and professional designers. A CD is also mentioned to help on the lectures. "New to the second edition" explains how the book has been improved from the first edition with updated information and better "teachability." .

    The introduction is really helpful for me as a design student since it explains how the book would help me in the design process. It gave me a glimpse of what to expect  from the guidebook.So far, the pages are easily understood so it won't be that complicated for me to read.  From reading these pages, I learned how the design process works in 7 steps. I also learned the design process can help in the production of all art aspects.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nadine! I hope you will be able to get a copy of that book soon! Perhaps Barnes and Noble will have it? Since the always re-order textbooks.

    ReplyDelete