Friday, October 22, 2010

Oct 18 - Mood and Style Boards

For class, everyone sat in a circle for discussion and lecture. We began by looking at the contents and advertisement of  the book, Becoming a Graphic Designer 4th edition, and 2 magazines, CMYK and Creative & Quarterly. Jimmy highly recommended the book for graphic design students as it contains helpful information such as portfolio requirements and interviews. Then again, he got the book for free since he's a teacher -_-.... Ah well, if I need it badly I'll buy it online for maybe an older edition. The magazines contains advertisement made mainly by design students. There were two advertisements for art school that we discussed: a small pencil used on both ends and a baby carriage with a baby holding a chainsaw. The pencil advertisement looked like a cigarette to me cause of the smoke, but it was to show that the pencil was used a lot to make it like that. Funny that the majority of the class got that concept instead of what I got. I guess I see things differently, not sure if that's good or bad... But, none of us understood the baby and chainsaw ad. I pointed out that if the baby held art supplies instead of the tool, then it would be perfect for the art school ad to show that children need to be raised exploring their imaginations. The only thing we could come up with for the ad is that babies are dangerous.

To understand how the advertisement came to be, we learned about creative briefs - where concepts of ideas are discussed in the meeting board. The necessary parts are: goal, audience, media, and purpose. We discussed what the best way to find out what's hot/ in for our age group. For us, the best way is by watching TV mainly MTV. We used an example of bikini girls and football on MTV to explore how that concept came to be. That was interesting information for me, since it was the first time I heard of it. Definitely not something I want to watch lol XP. Another way to get more information was to be curious, absorb information and what's in. To get the best original idea, it's best not to look up the internet. If you do, the design would be copied instead of uniquely yours. I definitely need to work on that since I'm usually open to new ideas and the internet is just so handy. Hopefully I'll try to follow this advice for my creativity.

We then went over the homework of having 10 phrases /  headlines for one image. I was the first one up since I was next to Jimmy, and I did a horrible job. My image was the center of a highway and most of my words were about it such as - road trip, neverending journey, one way road, go straight, etc. Apparently I was too literal and descriptive for the concept challenge. It needed to be something unrelated to the image and still make sense while shifting different emotions and meanings. The whole circle of students had similar problems so we had to do the same thing for homework. But there were some that understood and did excellent job of having witty and unexpected headlines. Some were even humorous and emotional. Definitely something I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment